The business relationship between Carlo Scarpa and Venini ended at the end of the Second World War, even if it was briefly resumed after Paolo Venini’s death in 1959. This latter collaboration was primarily expressed by the enormous chandelier created using the polyhedron system for the Veneto Pavilion at the 1961 Italy Expo. This masterpiece of design was complemented by other illumination fixtures and the production of murrine glass. Carlo Scarpa returned to themes developed in 1940, adapting them to new colours without aiming at transparency. His murrine glass creations, in fact, are opaque and produced in noteworthy thicknesses, and also made using the spatolato veneziano technique for the insides of furniture and articles of decor.
Giuliana Duplani Tucci (editor), Venini Murano 1921, F.M. Ricci, Milan 1989, page 117, fig. 15 Franco Deboni, Murano ’900. Vetri e vetrai, Bocca, Milan 1996, page 310, fig. 226.